making oneself happier and healthier

I recently had an amazing girls' weekend at Miraval. I love that place. It is just so nice to slow down, focus on yourself and be quiet for a few days. We hiked, ate amazing food, and had a really lovely time.

While we were there I ran into another friend, Maren, completely randomly. She was on her own girls' weekend with other friends. Such a bonus gift during my trip! Anyway, during a chat one day, Maren recommended a book called The Happiness Project. I don't feel like summarizing the whole premise, but basically the author (Gretchen Rubin) basically had a revelation one day that she needed more happiness in her life, so she set about it. Which you can probably tell by the title of her book.

So while I was looking for The Happiness Project in the self-help section of the bookstore, I came across another book called 52 Small Changes: One Year to a Happier, Healthier You, by Brett Blumenthal. While Rubin's book is overarching, and her monthly happiness projects include "Contemplate the Heavens" and "Make Time for Friends," Blumenthal's book has projects like "Take a Multivitamin." I decided this book might be more appropriate for my capabilities. I bought both books.

I'm reading The Happiness Project off and on (alongside my usual novels) and am enjoying it. Rubin makes you think. I know I certainly feel I could be a little happier most days. I do appreciate everything I have, and I have a very nice life - but "happy"? I am interested to see how the author's project ends.

As for 52 Small Changes, I have decided ... drum roll ... to chronicle my use of this book's suggestions on this blog. Each week for a year I will look at one of the 52 changes and see if I can incorporate it into my life, whether or not its useful to me, whether or not I feel happier and healthier because of it.

Now, I will be the first to admit that I am mostly doing this because I need a theme for posting in my blog. I am better when I have assignments. I think it's probably boring for everyone (myself included) to write/read about what I'm reading every week, and I am SO over Etsy (now Pinterest, on the other hand...). So this weekly thing will give me something to post about.

I don't necessarily think this book is going to be LIFE-CHANGING. I mean, the first week's instructions are to "Drink More Water". I already drink gallons of water, so this won't be that hard for me, nor will it change my life. However, maybe there is some related change I can make that will be useful. We'll see! I know you'll be on the edge of your seat until next weekend's big reveal!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

breakfast

paper my walls

Mission 6: Take a Multivitamin